The Ministry of Education is hosting a webinar series focused on Assessment within the context of the redesigned curriculum and facilitated by Tom Schimmer. The focus will be on secondary schools.
The SD62 Learning Team invites you to join them in live streaming and participating in the series. Please note that you do not have to attend all three sessions.
Thursday, Jan. 17
Wednesday, Feb. 13
Thursday, April 11
3:45 – 5:30
Please register with Bree, firstname.lastname@example.org, to join us in the SBO Annex meeting room.
This month’s session focusses on using picture books across the curriculum with ten minute Ignite sessions:
Kara McPherson: Big Books
Jeannie DeBoice: Problem solving with math picture books
Enjoy delicious Christmas snacks and eggnog while you browse! There will also be give aways 🙂
Please RSVP to Bree, email@example.com if you plan on attending
Join us for the first Sip & See event of the year!
Thursday, Nov. 15 from 3:30-4:00. This event’s focus is on our new social studies and science kits! The Aboriginal Education department will also have related aboriginal resources on display.
Stay to browse the DRC until 5:30!
Please RSVP to Kristy Caldwell (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you plan on attending.
To log in, visit: library.sd62.bc.ca/
Click on the ‘Log In’ link on the top right of the page
Username is your SD 62 username
Password is your SD 62 password
Once logged in, choose the Catalog tab, then you may search by selecting ‘District Resource Centre‘ as the location.
Please email any questions to Brianna Seal at email@example.com
Resources are couriered to your school, but feel welcome to stop by the DRC and browse in person! Located in the annex behind the Sooke School Board Office, 3143 Jacklin Road.
District Resource Centre (DRC) How to Guide for Destiny Follett Oct 2018
A few of our wonderful colleagues are hosting a FreshGrade introduction session on Oct. 23 at Happy Valley Elementary, 3:30-4:45, for anyone who is interested in learning more about the program.
Please share the attached flyer below, and encourage teachers to register with Kristy Caldwell (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Oct. 22.
Fresh Grade flyer
We are so excited to announce the opening of the new District Resource Centre (DRC). Located behind the School Board Office, the new modular building houses the DRC and the curriculum and learning team. There is room to spread out and look at resources in the bright and inviting space. The opening on the 3rd will have snacks, information, and demonstrations. Come by on the 3rd for a look and to see what the DRC has for you!
More information is available on the poster: DRC opening
The Curriculum and Learning team is proud to support two exciting programs this school year that both have a quickly approaching deadline of Sept. 28, 2018. See information below for an overview and links! Please email Jeannie DeBoice, email@example.com, for more information.
The District Curriculum and Learning Team invites interested school teams committed to on-going collaboration that focuses on deep student learning tied to the BC Curriculum redesign, with a focus on Literacy, Numeracy or Inquiry. We will explore the big questions: What’s going on for our learners? How do we know? Why does this matter? The Inquiry Framework will integrate Spirals of Inquiry, Changing Results Model, and Assessment for, as and of learning.
- Early career teachers, willing to commit to all 8 cumulative sessions
- Literacy and Numeracy foundations are at the heart of BC’s curriculum redesign
- Early Literacy and Numeracy are fundamental and are applied in all areas of learning
- With many new teachers acquiring contracts right out of University, this series will provide practical application and continuation of learning around the continuums of numeracy and literacy
- In some schools, there are more new career teachers than experienced, leaving the mentoring to a busy few!
- Focus on Literacy and Numeracy foundations, as we work through research-based professional resources (All resources will be provided and used throughout the year)
- Sessions will follow a responsive teaching model using Formative Assessment to assess then plan for next steps
- Supportive classroom structures, class management and useful routines will be woven in throughout our 8 sessions
- Between sessions teachers will implement strategies and assessments, debriefing observations at subsequent sessions
- NOT a ‘one-off’ workshop, but rather 8 full-day sessions that link to daily classroom practice
- In-class support from the Curriculum and Learning Team to co-plan, co-teach, and offer any other support requested