As we explore the New Curriculum we will be weaving in and supporting our students with the Core Competencies. These are essential elements that the students will need to be reflecting upon within their learning, they are present and woven into the curriculum we teach.
The core competencies are sets of intellectual, personal, and social and emotional proficiencies that all students need to develop in order to engage in deep learning and life-long learning.
Here is the Ministry page to the Core Competencies – HERE
Where could we start?
- Here is an interactive activity for students, Intro to Core Competencies
- Open ended and probing questions: Ministry Draft, Supporting Self Assessment
- Go over the core competencies with the students. In small groups have them create their own language around what they mean (Kid Talk). Create a one-pager of the core competencies using the ‘kid talk’ language for them to reflect upon as they learn. Here is an example from Jill Fader’s Grade 8 class, Core Competencies. Then weave these into the learning, using the language.
- Go over the core competencies with students, create a word wall for the students to look at and reflect upon as they learn and grow. Provide reflection time for this throughout the year.
- Teachers could introduce the Core Competency posters and then select a core competency picture book to read aloud and discuss with the class. Book pack list available below.
- Go over the core competencies with your class, when they are learning try the “notice it, name it” strategy. When you see them being Critical Thinkers or Creative thinkers point it out to them = “notice it, name it” to help them recognize when they are doing it.
Videos for Teachers or Students:
How a teacher is exploring the Core Competencies in her primary classroom, access video HERE
A local secondary teacher and how he has started to support student understanding and exploration of the Core Competencies, access video HERE
Personal Social Competency
Words that provide an entry into Personal Social conversations HERE
DO not do this at home, you MUST WEAR HELMET!
Student Communication: How one student expresses and communicates his 2 year goal, perseveres and succeeds, HERE
Let’s Make Some Good Art
Here is an example of a secondary student’s self reflection of the Core Competencies and their potential Capstone Project, access video HERE
Strong Nations Connections
Click HERE to access and download the pdf
How Could Student Demonstrate These Competencies?