G_Suite (formerly GAFE) & SD#62 Teachers:
HOW DO GET STARTED:
- Parent Consent – This is where parents login to provide and/or review consents for their children. The URL for this page is consent.sd62.bc.ca
- Account Activation – Students go to gafe.sd62.bc.ca. This cannot be done from a Chrome Book as the student’s account is not yet active.
- Account Login – The student can login to a Chromebook or into the Google Chrome web browser on a laptop/desktop.
- Username: Students accounts are set up in the format ab1234@sd62learns,org. The letters represent the first letter of the students first name, then the last letter of the student’s last name, then the last four digits of the student number. For example John Smith with a student account of 0123456789, would login as js6789@sd62learns,org
- Password: The student number is the password.
- Student Account Lists – This is where clerical and administrative staff can login and review consents, including searching for individual students.
- Review Privacy Information – Get your briefing at your staff meeting or from the home page of this site “SD62 Privacy Briefing”
- Request a Staff Google Account at gafe.sd62.bc.ca
- Account Login – Staff can login to Google Chrome on laptop/desktop or a Chromebook.
- Username – likely in the format similar to your current district email account. Change the final part to @sd62learns.org instead of @sd62.bc.ca.
- Password – you will be provided with a temporary password that you will be asked to reset.
- Staff Acknowledgement – Once you have your account and if you want to use Google Classroom, you must now click on the Staff Acknowledgement form, HERE
- Your students can now log in, access everything Google and join your class.
What is G-Suite?
Google Apps for Education is a hosted service that can be accessed from any technology connected to the internet. It is designed specifically for use in education and the applications are different than what is provided from public Google applications (such as Gmail) in that they are managed by the district and allow for greater filtering, advertisement blocking and application control by SD62 system administrators. Below are a few of the top used applications for Google Apps for Education in SD62.
|Students (Grade 4-8)||Students (Grades 9-12)|
|GAFE email account is limited to only SD62 domains (@sd62learns.org and @sd62.bc.ca)||GAFE email account has no sender restirctions|
|Google Drive (unlimited storage, including docs, sheets, slides, forms, and drawing)||Google Drive (unlimited storage, including docs, sheets, slides, forms, and drawing)|
|Ability to share data is set to private by default||Ability to share data is set to private by default|
|Google Drive is limited sharing to only SD62 domains||Google Drive has no sharing restrictions|
|Google Calendar and Google Classroom||Google Calendar and Google Classroom|
For more information, please go to Graham Arts’ Communicate IT Blog HERE
A visual summary of Google apps with brief descriptions can be downloaded HERE
How To’s & Tutorials:
Introduction to Chromebooks HERE
Beginners may want to start here (30min)
Google Drive support: HERE
Google Drive Tutorial (20min) HERE
Google Doc Tutorial (35min) HERE
Google Classroom Tutorial: (20min)
You tube “How To’s”: www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTWYf4PTLPw
Ed Tech Teacher “How To’s”: HERE
STUDENT “How To” Google Class video (5min): HERE
Google Learning Centre:
*Scroll down the page and select an app, this will provide you with many How To links and details for that app.
Google Apps for Education Website/ Resources
Here Google supports teachers as they start to explore GAFE
Access everything HERE
Google Drawing Graphic Organizers
30 Graphic organizers for you and your students to use in the classroom!
Access the website HERE
Extensions and Apps:
What are extensions?
Extensions are small software programs that can modify and enhance the functionality of the Chrome browser.
Read & Write Extension (1:54min):
Here is an amazing link to a website that has vetted fantastic extensions to help teachers in the classroom, HERE